Located in the heart of Alabama, Montgomery is a city steeped in rich history, culture, and natural beauty. Whether you're a history buff, foodie, or outdoor enthusiast, there's something for everyone to enjoy in this vibrant southern city. This year marks the 40th anniversary of National Travel and Tourism Week in this guide, we've curated a list of 40 must-see attractions, activities, and hidden gems to amplify the essential and integral role travel plays in our economy with 40 things to do Montgomery. From exploring historic landmarks to indulging in local cuisine and immersing yourself in the city's arts and culture scene, get ready to discover all that Montgomery has to offer!
Scheduled events you don't want to miss
- Dinosaur Adventure at Renaissance one of a kind exhibit featuring realistic, life-sized dinosaurs that come alive with their life-like movement and roars; this event is for the entire family Saturday, May 13
- Second Saturday Riverfront Festival featuring live entertainment, food vendors, arts & crafts, and the Tyson Foods fireworks spectacular Saturday, May 13
- Black College World Series will be held at the Riverwalk Stadium in downtown Montgomery Wednesday, May 10 - Saturday, May 13
- Clyde's from two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage, this Tony-nominated hit from Broadway is full of laughs and insights into what it means to find your purpose. Clyde’s is produced in partnership with the Equal Justice Initiative and Arkansas Repertory Theatre Thursday, May 11 - Friday, May 28
- Nature Photography at the Montgomery Botanical Gardens at Oak Park Practice your photography skills throughout the gardens with Paul and David Robertson, formerly of Robertson Photography, and Billy Birchfield, formerly of Snap Shot Ranch Saturday, May 13
- 11th Annual Riverbend Brewfest Taste Brews from local vendors while you enjoy food and live music Friday, May 12
For more event information about the events listed or additional events happening in Montgomery check out the calendar of events for a full listing.
But wait... there is more. See Montgomery's rich history, culture, and natural beauty.
7. 360 Tour at Montgomery Visitor Center - If you stand at the foot of Dexter Avenue and do a complete 360 degree turn, you’ll witness every angle of MGM’s rich history, from the Civil War to Civil Rights, to all the redevelopment and revitalization since then, MGM is a special place and continues to change the world.
8. Freedom Rider's Museum - Learn how the arrival of 21 young people to Montgomery changed the nation.
9. Hank William's Museum/Memorial/Statue - See the car in which country music superstar Hank Williams took his final ride.
10. Mothers of Gynecology - The monument aimed to tell the other side of the Sim's story by honoring the “Mothers of Gynecology,” -- Anarcha, Lucy and Betsey, three of eleven enslaved women who were the unwilling subjects of Sims’ experiments in the 1840s.
11. Old Alabama Town - Take a walk through the past with a visit to the authentic and preserved 19th century village complete with houses, a tavern and a blacksmith shop.
12. F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum - F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, golden couple of the Jazz Age and famous authors, lived (drank!) and wrote in the capital city at a house in Old Cloverdale.
13. The Mooseum - Let kids lasso a look at ranch life with some time playing and learning, hosted by the Cattlemen’s Association.
14. Museum of Alabama - Learn pretty much everything you want to know about the Yellowhammer state.
15. The Legacy Museum and National Memorial for Peace and Justice - The nation’s first memorial dedicated to the legacy of enslaved black people, people terrorized by lynching, African Americans humiliated by racial segregation and Jim Crow, and people of color burdened with contemporary presumptions of guilt and police violence.
16. Montgomery Botanical Gardens at Oak Park -
For more places to explore check out things to do in Montgomery!
Indulge your taste buds in the flavorful delights of Montgomery this charming city offers a tantalizing array of dishes that will leave you craving for more. From traditional Southern comfort food to innovative farm-to-table creations, Montgomery's food culture is a true reflection of its vibrant history and cultural influences.
17. VYBZ Brunch - premier brunch restaurant with a wide-ranging menu and bottomless mimosas.
18. Tower Taproom - Alabama's first self-pour Ber Bar and restaurant. The menu includes sandwiches, salads, wings, and milkshakes.
19. BB King's Blues Lounge - a causal and cool restaurant and hotspot where local artist frequent.
20. Ravello Ristorante Montgomery - upscale dining whose name and menu is inspired by a small town off the Amalfi Coast. Ravello is led by award-winning Executive Chef Eric Rivera and the seating is in high demand,
21. Chris' Famous Hot Dogs - located on historic Dexter Avenue, has been a part of the city’s rich heritage, for OVER 100 years, since opening in 1917.
22. The Cork and Clever - family-owned gastro pub fare serving both lunch and dinner, its offerings are anything but ordinary.
23. Martha’s Place - Southern essentials like fried chicken and collard greens washed down with syrupy sweet tea and meat-n-three.
24. Capitol Oyster Bar - listen to some of blues’ circuit’s hottest acts while knocking back some booze and seafood right on the river.
25. Hamburger King - Stuff yourself with what’s been hailed one of the South’s best greasy-good burgers.
This is just a taste of all that Montgomery has to offer, explore all of our restaurants and nightlife!
From charming boutiques to shopping malls, Montgomery offers a diverse and exciting shopping experience for visitors and locals alike. Discover one-of-a-kind gifts and souvenirs at quaint shops and markets or indulge in luxury brands and high-end fashion at premier shopping destinations. Whether you're on the hunt for antiques, home decor, or the latest fashion trends, Montgomery's shopping scene has something for everyone.
26. Splurge - a women's boutique that offers the latest fashion trends.
27. Ishi? - a fashion brand and upscale women's clothing boutique.
28. BeYoutiful Boutique - offering far more than your average woman’s boutique, from specialty pieces to everyday wear and an in-house stylists can help you with all of your needs.
29. Shoppes at Eastchase - the premier shopping center in south central Alabama. With more than 85 stores and restaurants.
30. Tucker Pecan Co. - a unique selection of gifts, tumblers, jewelry and more.
31. Eastbrook Flea Market & Antique Mall Inc. - everything from furniture and glassware to that missing piece of grandmother's China, with over 300 vendors with all kinds of collectibles.
32. Lake Point Vineyard & Winery - a family-owned winery that specializes in fruit wines.
33. Buff City's Soaps - plant based soaps, handmade daily, in each of our local Soap Makeries.
34. Southern Homes and Garden - offers an assortment of home decor items including accents and garden accessories.
Montgomery offers a variety of family-friendly fun and group adventures. Take a leisurely stroll along the Riverwalk or enjoy a picnic in one of the city's many parks. Test your skills at the Montgomery Axe Throwing or try your luck at the Wind Creek Casino. If you're seeking a bit of adventure, explore the city's many activities, and make some unforgettable memories in this vibrant southern city.
35. Escapology - challenging escape game options for any size group.
36. Civil Axe Throwing - indoor axe throwing entertainment experience.
37. Montgomery Zoo & Mann Wildlife Learning Museum - wildlife adventure, family fun, and educational experiences.
38. Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama - experience one of the world’s most advanced automotive plants and watch Alabama Team Members and amazing robots assemble the Hyundai Elantra, Santa Fe, Tucson, Santa Cruz, and the Genesis Electrified GV70.
39. Alabama Safari Park - 350 acres and features animals from all over the world
40. Sip-n-Cycle Pedal Cruise - a BYOB cruises experience and active adventure perfect for summertime.
In Montgomery there is a unique blend of history, culture, and outdoor adventure, making it the perfect destination for travelers seeking a one-of-a-kind experience. Come explore the top experiences and attractions that make Montgomery a must-visit destination.